Senior Project Manager
N2N is seeking a senior Project Manager. This position is responsible for project management work involving planning and coordination of information technology projects, executing in parallel. The project manager works to ensure that the assigned goals and objectives of the project(s) are accomplished within agreed upon time frames and budget limitations. This includes the responsibility to direct the work of other project team members and for managing team activities in order to assure the best use of time and resources to meet project defined objectives and deliverables. Projects may vary from managing small, less complex technology projects to managing extremely complex projects. Projects managed may include projects of multiple technology disciplines (i.e. hardware, software, applications development, network infrastructure etc.) and/or significant business process re-engineering efforts. Projects may involve significant risks to the state in areas of viability of service, public perception and monetary costs. Work typically involves the responsibility for identifying, understanding and managing business impact of projects. Project Manager is held accountable to inform executives, directors, clients, and business sponsors, about IT project progress including management of deadlines and schedule, straying within the allotted budget and completing deliverables to ensure project success.
The successful candidate will have skills in the following areas:
- Understanding of system development life cycle required for the type of project and ability to define work breakdown structures, and risk assessment accordingly for technology products or services.
- Fully understand, exhibit, and maintain a high level of technical skill or knowledge in the area of application development and system integration.
- Fully understands and is proficient in the use of tools to structure system requirements such as flow charts, data flow diagrams, business process analysis, swim-lane construction, logic modeling, database modeling (ER diagrams).
- Apply known Project Management (PMBOK based) approaches for developing and managing projects such as estimation methodologies, earned value calculations, and Risk Assessment/Mitigation Plan (RAMP).
Technical Solution Development
- Detailed understanding of assigned data and the use of its systems via developing through test plans/scenarios.
- Skilled in conceptual understanding of enterprise systems and familiarity with best business practices related to systems.
- Manage project variances to ensure variances are correctly identified, reported, and managed well.
- Monitor vendor performance and realign projects as business needs change. Be proactive in managing complex projects to avoid problems and delays. Responsible for all phases and processes of the long term project that may last multiple years.
- Knowledge of the current architecture of systems and information to troubleshoot problems.
- Understanding of the business functions and system needs to develop working specifications for software application solutions.
- Use lessons learned from projects and develop best practices for future projects.
Planning and Organizing
- Ability to set priorities and know when priorities need to be changed.
- Ability to work independently and manage projects with minimal supervision.
- Able to adapt work to unanticipated changes.
- Ability to create, organize, and follow complex and/or detailed technical procedures.
- Develop, manage and monitor the integrated master schedule for highly complex projects or multiple phases of a project. Ensure that an integrated master schedule is followed and must be accountable for changes to the schedule.
- Managing, organizing, and leading large, complex IT projects with high risk. Projects usually include enterprise implementation; consist of multiple technology disciplines and/or significant business process re-engineering efforts.
- Ability to build on-going partnerships with clients.
- Ability to work with clients to discuss alternative technical solutions.
- Ability to convey technical information to clients and promote understanding of relevant issues.
- Consult with the project sponsor to provide status updates on project activities. Build and maintain customer support for the project being managed.
- Counsel and advise senior level management and leadership regarding issues and risks, process re-engineering, and technology issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Project Management, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Math, or Engineering or related degree from an appropriately accredited institution; or
- Bachelor’s degree and some computer coursework from an appropriately accredited institution and one year of experience in business application consulting or development